Friday, August 22, 2014

Upcoming: Gwen Stacy is Spider-Woman…

… this time, without gratuitous, ridiculous butt-graphics on the cover. In Edge of Spider-Verse #2, an alternative Marvel universe’s Gwen Stacy is New York’s spider-bitten protector. I don’t have a huge amount of interest in what is becoming an ever-more-complex web of Spider-Man-related series,* but the artwork by Robbi Rodriguez caught my eye. First, here’s the cover…

EdgeOfSpiderVerse-02

And second, a pair of interior pages. I rather like the hoody-outfit Stacy wears, and Rodriguez’s overall aesthetic and style is really interesting and eye-catching (I have no idea if there’s a proper term for this approach, so I won’t attempt to make one up)…

EdgeOfSpiderVerse-02-Preview3

Edge of Spider-Verse #2 is due to be published September 17th, 2014.

* Seriously, Marvel – not everything has to be cross-pollinated and crossed-over. It’s really damned annoying. Not to mention expensive. (OH! Of course! That’s why you do it…)

3 comments:

  1. Not a fan of all the Spiderman comics currently on the stands but I must say the idea of the Spidervese caught my eye. It'll be interesting to see all the Spidermen in action at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a while, I only read Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man with Miles Morales - think it's a great series (story, artwork, etc.). Then I tried some of the Amazing Spider-Man collections leading up to the Doc Octopus body-swap, as well as the post-body-swap. It was all... fine. It's definitely a part of the Marvel universe that I've let fall by the wayside.

      Delete
  2. The problem with the Doc Octopus storyline was that they set it up with the caveat of Peter Parker's ghost in Doc's mind. We all know Peter Parker was going to take back his body sooner or later but that was just too bloody obvious and lazy.

    ReplyDelete